I’m stuck on a Writing question and need an explanation.
- 500 words!
- Choose a subject appropriate for a narrative essay, using one specific experience from your own life.
- Your body paragraphs will take the reader through the story itself; your introduction and conclusion will situate the story.
- You will use first person in this essay.
- Bring your description skills to your work! I look forward to seeing your richly describe the setting, characters, and actions.
- Dialogue is acceptable but not necessary. I’d rather have you write the scenes and events without significant or lengthy dialogue.
- Make sure that you follow the narrative arc and have the story grow from a central problem that provides the story’s purpose and exigence.
Grading Overview (also: see our rubric)
- Sensory details — do you paint a clear picture of your moment and scene for the reader?
- Organization and development – do you use transitions that work to improve the flow of your paper? Does your paper have a chronology to order it?
- Focus and perspective – please do not refer to the act of writing the paper or the assignment itself.
- Dominant impression – what idea do you want your reader to come away with after reading your story?
- Mechanics – see your textbook, or visit the Learning Center (or Net Tutor), for help with this.