I’m studying for my Geography class and need an explanation.
According to the United Nation’s World Population Prospects 2019: Highlights, there are some definite trends occurring in today’s populations. The United Nations predicted that the following would occur in 2019:
- The world’s population will continue to grow, but at a slower rate.
- Some countries and regions will face challenges related to rapid population growth due to high fertility.
- The population size will decrease in some countries due to low fertility or emigration.
- The world’s population will continue to age (number of elderly people will increase).
- The gap between rich and poor countries will lessen.
- International migration will be an important cause of population growth and change in some parts of the world.
The report from the United Nations also outlined 8 main trends that have been observed. Those trends are listed below:
1.) The world’s population continues to grow, but at a slower pace. The last time in history that the population growth rate was this low was in the 1950s.
2.) Sub-Saharan Africa will account for most of the growth of the world’s population in the upcoming decades. Other regions will begin to experience decreasing populations.
3.) Two-thirds of the projected growth of the global population through 2050 will occur due to current age structures. This means that the number of women in their childbearing years is high enough to keep the population growing through 2050. This would still occur even if childbearing in high fertility countries dropped to only two births per woman during her lifetime.
4.) Continued rapid population growth presents challenges for sustainable (manageable) development.
5.) Several of the world’s largest countries will drive much of the anticipated global population change.
6.) A growing number of countries are experiencing a decrease in population size. This is due to sustained low levels of fertility and, in some places, high rates of emigration.
7.) In some parts of the world, populations are still relatively young. In some countries, the number of people in the working ages is growing faster than in other age groups, creating a window of opportunity for rapid economic growth.
8.) Historically low levels of fertility combined with increased lifespan ensure that populations in almost all countries and areas are growing older.
For this assignment you will be researching a country’s population trends. You will begin by choosing a country in either Asia or Africa. Once you choose a country, you should search for reliable websites to use to gather your research. If you have trouble finding reliable research, please contact me. After you have gathered your research, answer the following questions using complete sentences:
- What country did you choose?
- Does the country you chose experience any of the 6 trends that the United Nations predicted to occur in 2019? Which ones?
- Of the 8 main trends listed above, is your country experiencing any of them? Which ones?
- Is the population in the country increasing or decreasing? What is causing this?
- What is the fertility rate in the country you chose? Is it increasing or decreasing?
- What is the mortality rate in the country you chose? Is it increasing or decreasing?
- Does the country you chose have a younger population or an older population? If you could not find this information, that is fine. You can predict what you think the population’s average age would be based on your research.
- If you had to predict the population trends for the country you chose for 2020, what would you predict?