I’m studying and need help with a Social Science question to help me learn.
The elements of story can be bold or boring, factual or fiction, and may give rise to a call for action or may leave a listener uninterested and disengaged. Speeches are one form of storytelling where a listener is engaged through sight, sound, and context inherent in the power of “pull.”
- Review the Learning Resources.
- Consider at least two (2) speeches (other than Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mandela) from the websites listed in your Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post an evaluation of the purpose, the context, and the words, phrases, metaphors, and symbols that you felt were particularly effective in their stories.
Simmons, A. (2006).
The story factor: Inspiration, influence, and persuasion through the art of storytelling (2nd ed.). Cambridge, MA: Perseus.
- Chapter 4, “How to Tell a Good Story” (pp. 83–104)
- Chapter 6, “Sound Bite or Epic?” (pp. 133–156)
- Chapter 9, “Storyteller’s Dos and Don’ts” (pp. 199–218)