I don’t know how to handle this Communications question and need guidance.
As a leader, there will be times when you will need to convince your audience about your point of view, whether you are selling a product or relaying information. Knowing how to convince people of your perspective is a valuable skill. In order to do this effectively, you must learn the art of persuasion and communication.
For this assignment, you will apply key concepts from Week 5 to write a persuasive Memo. Choose ONE of the below scenarios that you feel passionate about. Think about how you will convince your executive leadership team to buy into your point-of-view on your chosen topic.
- The office dress code at your company is strictly business attire and the employees feel that business casual is more appropriate for your company culture. You have been designated as the spokesperson to approach the executive leadership team about this proposed change. How will you persuade them to buy in to your recommendation?
- Your boss discourages remote working although it is allowed in other departments, which is starting to impact the morale of your team. How will you persuade him or her that increased flexibility will be beneficial to the productivity of the team?
- There is an opening on the leadership team at your company. There are several internal and external candidates applying for this job besides you. How will you persuade your boss that you are the best candidate?
• Review your Week 5 readings
• Create a Memo of 2 to 3 pages, addressed to the executive leadership team or to your boss, depending on the scenario that you chose.
• Use the Outline below to structure your Memo:
1. Write a “Hook” to get your audience’s attention (1-2 paragraphs)
2. Tell the story/create a connection (1-2 paragraphs)
3. Identify the benefits of your point-of-view (1-2 paragraphs)
4. Back it up with facts and data (1-2 paragraphs)
5. The Ask: State clearly what you are asking for (1-2 paragraphs)
6. Closing: Describe the proposed next steps (1-2 paragraphs)
Professional Formatting Requirements:
Your assignment should follow these formatting requirements:
• Typed, single spaced, with a blank line between paragraphs, professional font (size 10-12)
• Includes headings and subheadings (to identify main topics and subtopics), with one-inch margins on all sides
• Do NOT include a standard Cover page. Instead, on the first page, start your Memo with the following headings aligned to the left:
* TO: Fill in Decision Maker’s Name
* FROM: Fill in Your Name
* DATE: Fill in the Due Date
* RE: Insert a Subject Line to Capture the Reader’s Interest
• Application of course material or other resources is needed. References must be included and provide appropriate information that enables the reader to locate the original source. Use the Writing Standards Guide in Course Documents to guide you in the formatting of your citations.
•The length of 2 to 3 pages does not include your References page