I need help with a Science question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
A. Watch Dr. Marty Lobdell’s “study less, study smart” seminar on how to develop more effective study skills (1 hr).
- Study less, study smart (Links to an external site.)
- A summary of this talk is also available below:
- Different study skills may work differently for different people. Check this video for some more study tips:
B. Teach yourself how to learn (Dr. Sandra McGuire, Louisiana State U, 44 min) (Links to an external site.)
C. Growth mindset versus fixed mind-set: It is believed that fixed mindset is one of the biggest barrier preventing people from a high success. Watch the following Ted talk by Dr Carol Dweck about growth mindset.
- Growth mindset by Dr Dweck (10 min) (Links to an external site.)
- You can develop a growth mindset (4 min, by Pearson)
C. After watching the videos, post a discussion by answering the following questions (5 pts):
- Did you find the study skill video useful? How?
- Can you implement this techniques in your study?
- How do growth mindset help students accomplish higher academic achievement?
D. Read your class-mates posts and reply to at least two of your classmates. Your comments should be meaningful (not simply “Yeah, me too” or “I agree”). (2.5 pts for each full meaningful response). Make sure you include following in your response:
- start by greeting the class-mate by name
- contribute to one or two of his/her discussion point with your view
- Pose any related questions you might have
- your name
These videos were helpful because they call out my carless decisions while studying. ( If I am going to be honest). One thing I need to work on is connecting the subjects rather than just trying to memorize the topics. I think I tend to forget I need to fully learn the subjects to heightened my comprehension. A tip Lobdell talked about which I found interesting was taking breaks in between studying was helpful. I never fully put two and two together that being half asleep after a hour an a half of studying – I was not retaining any information or let alone review it. I would tell myself with confidence ,”I studied 4 hours straight I should be fine,” then to be surprised to a barely passing grade. I want to work on these flaws to have better studying habits and to try improve my grades. Having a growth mindset with learning is an important factor. It is really hard to do anything if you do not believe you cannot do it, let alone learn anything. A growth mindsets help for success because it will let you drive towards your goals, telling yourself your bad at something does not help when you are struggling.
These videos were very helpful and showed me why my studying is not working as well as it could for me. While I have the studying in short periods of time multiple times down, I now know that I have only been memorizing my notes and not actually understanding what I was reading. I do know that I have a growth mindset and always have. This has always helped me learn new subjects with ease. My real problem has always been remembering what I learned but thanks to these videos I will be able to improve my studying!!