I’m trying to study for my English course and I need some help to understand this question.
Choose ONE question. Respond in a well written one-paragraph or more response. After responding to a question (from either reading), you will respond or “respond to” one peers’ responses. Your response should be a well written one-paragraph or more response.
1. How is the “male gaze” represented in this story?
2. What are some examples of when the narrator passes judgment on other characters?
3. Is Sammy a universal character? Can he be relatable no matter the social, historical, cultural, or political context?
“Boys and Girls”
1. How does the narrator learn the difference between being a girl and a boy? What character(s) show her this?
2. How does the narrator’s relationship with her father change as she learns what it means to be a “girl”?
3. What does Flora represent at the end of the story? How is the horse a symbol?
Mays, Kelly J. The Norton Introduction to Literature: Portable 12th Edition. New York: Norton, 2017.