I need support with this Environmental Science question so I can learn better.
Researchers have attempted to devise a method to place a monetary value on ecosystem goods and services (ecosystem capital). They hope that these efforts will make people aware that: ecosystem goods and services are essential for humans and their economies, the economic value of ecosystem processes is substantial, and sustainably managed ecosystems are a long-term source of income.
Considering the natural world and ecosystem capital as you complete the following:
- Use the for this assignment. Open the blank spreadsheet and log at least 6 material goods and 4 services you use or take advantage of in your daily life. Example; Shoes.
- For each material good and service, determine if it is absolutely necessary for survival or if it is just a good or service that you want or would just like to have. Example; Shoes are not necessary for survival.
- Describe where the material good or service comes from in the natural world.
- Explain how a material good is made and include any chemical, energy, transportation, etc. that is involved (Hint: think of raw materials or what the good is made of) Example; Shoes made of raw leather from cowhide.
- Briefly describe the outcome if the ecosystem suddenly ceased to supply the good or service. Example; Assume cowhide is no longer available, then possibly use other materials to make shoes like plastic.