Need help with my Writing question – I’m studying for my class.
All answers must be in your own words.Answers copied directly from the textbook, PowerPoint, or an online source will not be given credit.
All questions are worth 2 points.
- What is glucose?How a chemist would describe glucose? Using what you learned about glucose and what you know about the structure and function of a plasma membrane, Explain why a molecule like glucose (even in a greater concentration outside the cell compared to inside the cell) cannot cross the phospholipid bilayer of the plasma membrane and instead must travel through a protein “gate.”
- Explain the concept of osmosis.We know that the process of pickling, adding large amounts of salt, causes changes in the food itself.A cucumber will shrink into a pickle.But how does adding large amounts of salt affect microbes that may have contaminated the jar of pickles?
- In the laboratory, imagine that you transfer bacteria X from one flask of tryptic soy nutrient broth into another flask of tryptic soy nutrient broth.If you were then to measure and plot the bacterial growth curve of bacteria X, would you would notice a long lag phase?Why or why not?
- Consider obligate anaerobes, facultative anaerobes, and aerotolerant anaerobes.In what way are they all similar?In what way are they all different?Be specific and explain your answer for full credit.
- Humans live symbiotically with many, many different microbes.Describe a human-microbe relationship that is considered mutualistic and then describe one that is considered parasitic.
- There are microbes that call your intestines home.Using the terms you learned in this unit, we might describe them as obligate anaerobes, alkaliphiles, mesophiles, etc. There are microbes that call your skin home.Use at least 3-4 terms from this unit to describe skin microbes and explain why you selected each term.