I’m studying for my Literature class and need an explanation.
- World Literature began in 1827 when Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a provincial German writer, recognized that he had access to European texts, Persian poetry, Chinese novels, and Sanskrit drama. Since then, ancient works have been translated and added to the collection of world literature, including “The Epic of Gilgamesh” and other ancient documents. What is World Literature? How do you define it? What benefits will a person gain from reading literature from around the world?
- What are the prevailing ideals of Enlightenment philosophers?
- The Encyclopdie is the “quintessential” document of the Enlightenment era. Why is it considered that? What impact did it have on society when it was published? How did different classes of people respond to it?
- Choose 3 philosophers from the list below and discuss their work and influence.
Immanuel Kant Denis Diderot and Jean le Rond D’Alembert
David Hume Benjamin Franklin William Blake
James Beattie Elizabeth Barrett Browning Simon Bolivar
Renee Descartes Thomas Jefferson William Wordsworth
Mary Wollstonecraft Toussant L’Ouverture Samuel Taylor Coleridge
5. What is the significance of Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels? How was its content influenced by the Enlightenment era? Define satire and explain its importance. How did the book influence society when it was published?
6. What is the significance of Rousseau’s Confessions? How was it influenced by the Enlightenment and Revolutionary periods? Explain the significance of its content and the fact that it was the first autobiography. How did the book change society?
7. How did writing and important texts play a role in revolutions across the globe?
Please must be original, no plagiarism