I need an explanation for this Philosophy question to help me study.
2.Identify the following arguments as deductive or inductive. If deductive, say whether it is valid or invalid, and whether sound or unsound. If inductive, say whether it is strong or weak, and whether cogent or uncogent.
- All whales are fish. The largest creature on earth is the blue whale. So the largest creature on earth is a fish.
- Smith, our professor, has never verbally abused a student in class this semester. So he’s unlikely to verbally abuse a student on the day of the final exam.
- Donald Trump is a septuagenarian. So he must be in his seventies.
- Most people who teach at SDSU are English. Professor Smith teaches at SDSU, so he’s probably English.
- SOME OF THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES/PASSAGES HAVE A CONCLUSION. IF THERE IS A CONCLUSION WRITE THAT CONCLUSION AS YOUR ANSWER. IF THERE IS NO CONCLUSION, WRITE ”NO CONCLUSION”. AND REMEMBER THAT AN INDICATOR EXPRESSION IS NOT PART OF WHAT IT INDICATES.
- A.)There is a famous building in Washington DC called the Pentagon, because it has five sides.
- B.) Students would be well advised to seriously study for the final exam.
C.) The ozone layer filters out harmful ultraviolet rays from sunlight before they can reach the surface of our planet and cause damage to humans and other life forms. Any substantial reduction in the amount of this ozone would threaten life as we know it. Consequently, the appearance of a large “hole” in the ozone layer over Antarctica represents a major environmental crisis.
D.) If public education fails to improve the instruction in both primary and secondary schools, then it is likely that it will lose additional students to the private sector in the years ahead.